Content marketing has a higher chance of success when a company has built a plan around it. Many companies do not have a content creation strategy. A company’s content marketing efforts without a strategy is like shooting arrows in the dark.
Steps For Creating A Content Strategy
The Content Marketing Institute (CMI) conducted research and found out that 61% of B2B businesses and 67% of B2Cs lack a documented content marketing plan. Mentioned below are a few tips for stepping up your content creation game:
1. Create a content mission statement. The first step to building a solid content marketing plan is to lay down your content marketing mission statement. The statement is there to remind you of your priorities so you can stay focused on them. The statement should define your target demographic, the type of content you will generate to reach those consumers and how your content will add value to your audience.
2. Determine your company goals. After planning the mission statement, it is time to analyze what the strategy has to offer your business. Your business goals come in here. Revenue generation is a must for the sustenance of your business. Making more sales and gaining traffic can be a few goals to foster revenue.
3. Define your key performance indicators (KPIs). It is time to quantify your goals by setting KPIs for your content marketing strategy. The performance indicators will serve as a yardstick for gauging the achievement of your goals. KPIs may include targets related to revenue, SEO, traffic and sales, among others.
4. Set time-bound performance. Decide the time frame within which you intend on achieving your revenue or sales target. It can be within a month, quarter or year.
5. Know your audience. A company needs to be clear about its target demographic. You can gain information on your email subscribers, visitors and social media followers. Social media analytics can also provide you with information such as your audience’s age, gender, education and income. Web analytics also provides information about audience interest.
6. Seek customer feedback. A company can benefit significantly from customer feedback. Collecting feedback from your existing customers can help you gain insight into how your audience relates to the current content you are putting out. It can also let you know how you can meet their urgent needs with your content.
7. Create buyer personas. The collected data and feedback will enable you to create buyer personas. The buyer persona describes your ideal reader or customer. The buyer persona lets you know the pain points, challenges and behavioral motivators of your target audience. This information can help you place your product better.
8. Assess where you stand. Most businesses have an excellent output that already exists in the form of blogs, social media content, videos and podcasts. Hence, the next logical step is to inquire whether your content is helping you meet your objectives. A content audit will help you gauge the usefulness of your blogs and videos and identify the gaps.
9. Trace content gaps. Start tracing gaps that can be filled in your performance. For example, maybe there are keywords that you were not using in your content but can now include targeting a niche audience. This can also make you aware of questions that your audience may have that you have yet to answer.
10. Consider adding video. Finally, most successful content marketing strategies include video because it is a proven method to engage and keep visitors on-site for longer. This can enhance lead generation.
Have a central core of content published on your website. It can be repurposed and shared on various other sites. Also, knowing where your audience is hanging out is going to help your content marketing strategy by leaps and bounds. Checking competitor sites and streamlining content creation based on a format that has universal appeal will help your business grow optimally.
Please see the original published article here https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesagencycouncil/2020/02/12/essential-steps-for-a-strong-content-creation-strategy/#36fae453643a